Appeal or final and unappealable judgment

Someone who has been convicted and wishes to challenge the court’s judgment can lodge an appeal if the law permits. If an appeal is possible, the person who has been convicted (or his attorney) must lodge an appeal with the court registrar within 14 days. The appeals procedure is free of charge.

The administrative body has plans to ensure that anyone who has been convicted of a serious crime of violence or a sex offence will not be released while an appeal is still pending.

Previous Story


Next Story


Latest from Criminal Law | Overview


The police can arrest someone who is suspected of committing a criminal offence and question him.


Once the investigation has been concluded, the public prosecutor may decide to prosecute a suspect. In


At the hearing, the court either acquits or convicts the defendant, or discharges him from prosecution


On appeal, a different (higher) court reviews the case. This court may convict or acquit the